If you’re visiting this page, chances are you are either giving serious thought to attending graduate school or have already made a decision to do just that. This information can help you along that path.
Beginning the Graduate School Application Process
Applying to graduate school is a process. There are multiple steps involved not only in completing the application and searching for programs that are “a good fit” but also in understanding the field you are interested in pursuing. Here is a guide that we've found to be very helpful with the process of applying to graduate school, particularly to programs in Clinical Psychology. However, even if you're not interested in Clinical Psychology it does provide information on other fields like Social Work, Counseling Psychology, Psychiatry and more. It even has contributions from our very own faculty member Dr. Sophie Choukas-Bradley!
As you consider graduate school, you will need to explore individually while seeking support from advisors, faculty members, graduate students and various other resources on campus. The application itself consists of:
- Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program Application: A Recommended Timeline
- How Applying to Graduate School Works by The Sokol-Hessner Lab
- Graduate School Process, Department of Psychology
- Applying to PhDs in Clinical Psychology PhD Programs: The What, Why, and How
Choosing a Program
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a graduate program. The first is your academic profile (which was discussed in the folders and links provided) including GPA, GRE scores, research and/or relevant experience, and letters of recommendation. The next is researching program information including accreditation, focus, research mentor (if applicable), financial compensation or aid and last, but certainly not least, overall fit.
- Program focus
- Research mentor
- Selecting Research Mentors When Applying to Doctoral Programs
- Financial compensation or aid
- Overall fit
- Tips for Applying to Graduate School (A Student's Perspective)
- Admission Statistics
- Encyclopedia of Psychology
- What Can I Do With This Major
- How to Get in to Graduate School, Professional Development Workshop
- Life as A Student in a CBT-Oriented Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program
- Clinical Psychology Programs Need to Know
- Association for Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT)
- Guide to Graduate Programs in Forensic and Legal Psychology