"Having just gotten my feet wet I look forward to upcoming projects that still need to be conducted experimentally as well as designed so that I might gain experience in each separate stage of the research process. I believe my attention to detail and scientific creativity could use some improvement which I expect to see happen as I continue my work with the PLUM lab.
Supervising Faculty: Natasha Tokowicz, Ph.D.
Area of Research: Cognitive Psychology/Neuroscience; Second Language Learning
Description of Research: This project includes a series of behavioral (reaction time) and brain-related (ERP) experiments aimed at understanding the psychophysiological underpinnings of first and second language processing. We have a large range of experiments including those aimed at examining sentence processing in the first and second language, training studies in which we teach people foreign languages, and studies on the effects of individual differences on language processing.
Duties of Students:
- Read relevant research articles and discuss them and other related theoretical issues at weekly research meetings
- Assist with recruiting and testing participants (following training) in behavioral and/or ERP experiments
- Assist with data coding, entry, and analysis, and experiment programming
- 12 credits of Psychology (including current term)
- STAT 0200/1000/1100 Statistics
- PSY 0036 Research Methods Lecture
- PSY 0037 Research Methods Lab
- Reliable individuals interested in gaining research experience
- Preferred 3.3 GPA or higher
- Minimum of 3 credits per semester for two semesters
- Recommended basic computer skills and familiarity with Excel
- Availability for weekly lab meetings on Fridays from 3-4 PM is required
To apply: Complete this application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10agdV1kdxWNeRpji_QtUbPkQo9JnpwoKCFcWfwM...
Terms offered: fall and spring (some summers)
Number of Students: varies