Allegheny Commons Park
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Carly Morgan, Carly.Morgan@aviary.org
Areas of Interest: Marketing, Communications, Business, English, Public Relations, Consumer Neuroscience, Marketing and Business Psychology, Cultural Anthropology, Decision Sciences
Who we are:
The National Aviary is America’s only independent indoor nonprofit zoo dedicated exclusively to birds. Located in Allegheny Commons Park on Pittsburgh’s historic North Side, the National Aviary’s diverse collection comprises more than 500 birds representing more than 150 species from around the world, many of them threatened or endangered in the wild.
The National Aviary’s large walk-through exhibits create an experience unlike any other – an intimate, up-close interaction between visitors and free-flying birds, including opportunities to hand-feed and meet many species rarely found in zoos anywhere else in the world.
As an environmental organization composed of educators, conservationists and researchers, the National Aviary’s goals are many. The Aviary aims to provide outstanding education programming for varied audiences; present the highest quality family recreational experience that a zoological institution can offer; save endangered species by preserving natural habitats; continue endangered bird breeding programs and conduct meaningful avian research; engender a sincere appreciation of nature and a respect for natural law; and instill a conservation ethic that teaches our immense responsibility as stewards of the planet.
This internship is geared towards students interested in a career in non-profit or cultural attraction marketing and communications. Interns will assist the National Aviary’s Marketing Department with drafting social media posts and pulling analytics, event planning, developing marketing campaigns, and conducting research.
Duties of Intern:
Assist with the planning and execution of major marketing events, working with marketing and sales initiatives.
Conduct research needed for various marketing projects.
Implement marketing tactics related to publicity, advertising and promotions.
Assist with the preparation and distribution of press releases, maintain press clip library and statistics.
Other Duties as assigned.
- Ability to think innovatively and creatively
- Ability to take initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Detail oriented thinking
- Ability to work independently, quickly and under pressure
- Marketing and/or Public Relations coursework a plus
- Willingness to assist as needed in on-site and off-site events
- Ability to multi-task
- Proficiency in Microsoft office
- Past or current involvement in an any of the following areas: marketing, communications, event planning, customer/guest services
- Be able to work a flexible schedule and attend events outside of normal work week
- Graphic design experience a plus
- This position offers flexible start and end dates, but requires a commitment of at least one semester or three months.
- Located on Pittsburgh’s North Side
- This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
- If applicant meets their school standards, we will work with them to get credit.
Terms Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Number of Students: ~2