Note: We have off-site locations in Wilkinsburg and Clairton
Denise McGill Delaney, MSW
Areas of Interest:
Education, Developmental Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Social Work
Since 2002, our mission to empower girls and young women to have productive lives through holistic, gender-specific programs, education, and experiences has shaped the lens of service delivery and policy impacting young girls and women in Southwestern Pennsylvania and beyond. In May of 2020, Gwen’s Girls recognized the critical need of children losing out on their academic needs being met as schools were closed due to COVID-19. In response, we developed the Academic Support Initiative (ASI) to work with youth and their families to prevent summer learning loss. ASI works with both girls and boys in grades K-12 attending school in Allegheny County. We provide live remote interactions, group and individual sessions.
Duties of Students:
Students will provide either individual or group tutoring sessions via zoom. The sessions will be held on a daily basis and each student will be assigned between one to six students to work with. In addition, you will make contact with the families regarding performance and missed sessions. Students are encouraged to make the tutoring sessions as interactive and academically engaging as possible.
Additional Site Requirements:
1. Send e-mail letter of interest with a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
a. Provide 2 personal or professional written references with contact information
2. You must apply for clearances. ALL CLEARANCES MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE ANY INTERNSHIP HOURS CAN BE SCHEDULED. Therefore, you will need to submit your application for clearances at least 6-8 weeks prior to the start of the term for which you would like to intern.
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
- Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
- Act 73 Clearance: FBI Background Clearance
- National Sex Offender Registry
3. TB test/physical and drug screening (after acceptance)
Note: Two-term commitments strongly preferred but not required.
Selected applicants will be responsible for planning and implementation of instructional intervention program. Duties will include supervision of participants, data collection and entry, attendance at all required trainings and other duties as assigned.
Terms Offered: Fall, spring and summer
Number of Students: Varies