"I truly have learned so much from working at this site. I have prior experience with people with disabilities, but nothing that has forced me to adapt to new things and change like this experience has. I have learned that this population is so vulnerable and that everything we do in the classroom has an impact on their lives, so it is important that you take the time and effort to make it really count. "
Areas of Interest: Special Education, School Psychology, School Social Work
The Day School is an Approved Private and Licensed Private Academic School. Students in our school have disabilities such as Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Neurological Impairments, and Low –Incidence Syndromes. The intern would have the experience of working directly with the students ages 5-21 with a variety of disabilities. Depending on the interest of the intern, the School Psychologist or Educational Supervisor would assign the intern to a classroom depending on age of the students, and severity of the disability.
Duties of Students:
- Interns would be responsible to follow the directions of the classroom teacher
- Interact in a positive and supportive manner with the students and staff
- The intern may be required to support in the intervention regarding specific target behaviors.
- Interns would be expected to submit a weekly journal to the psychologist to participate in an ongoing conversation regarding his/her experiences.
Additional Site Requirements:
- Email contact person with resume and letter of interest that includes name, that you are a Psychology major at the University of Pittsburgh interested in the internship, GPA, a statement of goals for the internship, and area of interest (ex. autism, physical disabilities, behavioral classroom issues, traumatic brain injuries, neurological impairments)
- Suggested courses: PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology, PSY 0310 Developmental Psychology, Intro to Special Education
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
- Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
- Act 73 Clearance: FBI Background Clearance
- Record Check
- 3.0 GPA or higher
fall and spring terms
Number of Students:
1-2 students per term