General Education Requirements
As with all areas of the University, there are General Education requirements you will need to complete. Learn more about General Education Requirements »
Psychology Degree Requirements
In order to declare psychology as a major, you must:
- Complete PSY 0010 Introduction to Psychology AND
- Complete one of the required statistics courses (STAT 0200/1000 or 1100) AND
- Be enrolled in PSY 0036 Research Methods Lecture
- All required pre-requisite courses must be completed with a 'C' or better.
To declare psychology or to add psychology to an existing major, go to the Advising Center, 201 Thackeray Hall to complete the Program Change Form.
What's the deal with PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology for fall term?
You may have noticed that PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology was completely missing from the fall term but now there are sections available but are all listed as "Department Consent Required". Here's what you need to know about PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology and PSY 0205 Psychopathology:
- Beginning with fall term, 2201 PSY 0205 Psychopathology will take the place of PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology;
- Either course, 1205 or 0205 will fulfill the core requirement for the major;
- If a student has already taken and passed PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology the student may not also enroll for PSY 0205 Psychopathology as they are the same course just a different name and number;
- If a student has taken and not passed PSY 1205 Abnormal Psychology the student will need to follow the directions in the description listed in PeopleSoft to request permission to repeat this course;
- Please contact Jennifer Stapel, firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by during walk in time (Monday - Thursday, 10-1 or Friday, 9-noon) with any questions.
PSY 0035 Research Methods, PSY 0036 Research Methods Lecture, PSY 0037 Research Methods Lab
- Beginning 2204 (Spring, 2020) PSY 0035 Research Methods will no longer offered.
- PSY 0036 Research Methods Lecture and PSY 0037 Research Methods Lab will be required for all new majors who have not yet completed PSY 0035 Research Methods.
- The Department of Psychology will accept PSY 0035 Research Methods for those new majors who have already completed the course regardless of when they formally declare the major.
- Current majors who have successfully completed PSY 0035 Research Methods do NOT need to take either PSY 0036 or PSY 0037.
All students should feel free to talk through any questions or concerns with a psychology advisor via drop in, email, or by scheduling an appoinment.
Remember: to earn a degree in psychology at the University of Pittsburgh, you must also meet the following general education requirements: