Lona White, Director of Human Resources
Areas of Interest: Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Social Work with Addictions Population
Who we are:
Gateway Rehabilitation Center is a not-for-profit organization founded in 1972 by Dr. Abraham J. Twerski, an internationally recognized authority in the field of chemical dependency treatment.
Gateway provides comprehensive treatment services for adults, youth and young adults, and families with alcohol and other drug related problems. Treatment services are provided at inpatient and outpatient sites located throughout the surrounding Pittsburgh area.
Duties of Intern:
Duties can include shadowing the site clinical staff, observing group and individual counseling sessions, assisting with administrative/clerical tasks, helping patients with life skills (budgeting, job search, etc.), assisting patients with paperwork, etc. Duties will vary according to particular site needs.
- MUST HAVE OWN CAR and have strong interest in addictions
- Send e-mail letter of interest (stating that you are a Psychology major at the University of Pittsburgh interested in the internship), 2 letters of reference and resume to contact person listed above.
- PSY GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Senior Status
- Before applying must have Clearances required by Child Protective Services Law:
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
- Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
- Act 73 Clearance: FBI Background Clearance
Locations for internships include:
- Main inpatient treatment center in Center Township (Beaver County)
- Halfway houses in Center Township, Bridgeville, and Beaver Falls
- Outpatient treatment centers in Baden, Cranberry, Greentree, Fox Chapel, McMurray, Monroeville, Pleasant Hills, and Greensburg
Opportunities at locations vary from term to term, depending on Clinical Managers’ supervisory availability.
fall, spring, and summer
Number of Students:
Positions are very limited, so apply in early February for summer or fall term opportunities and in early October for Spring term opportunities.