"I have come to realize the hardship that the people we assist have experienced. I have learned the importance to have empathy and listen to them carefully. I have learned to look deeper at the economic difficulties and cultural barrier they are trying to overcome."
Cathoic Charities Diocese of Pittsburgh
212 Ninth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Contact Person: Katya Slater, Volunteer Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Interest: Counseling Psychology, Social Work and Non-Profit
Who we are: Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh is the primary social service agency of the Diocese. Our mission is to serve with excellence, professionalism, integrity and compassion, the human needs of individuals and families, regardless of their religious affiliation, and to provide leadership in mobilizing the resources of parishes and the wider community in addressing these needs.
Catholic Charities' programs and services are available to those who live within the six counties of the Diocese—Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Greene, Lawrence and Washington.
Description of Site: Make a difference while developing professional skills in the human services field! This immersive position provides cross-training opportunities in pregnancy resource support, homelessness and housing, and case management for underserved urban populations.
Duties of Intern:
- Provide supportive counseling and education to pregnant and new mothers/families seeking material assistance.
- Maintain personal case load, update case files, and track client progress.
- Collaborate with staff to identify client needs and connect clients with appropriate community resources.
- Provide life skills education, case management to homeless men aged 50+ who reside in the agencys transitional housing facility.
- Assist with client outreach initiatives (e.g., Winter Warming Station, parenting workshops).
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Site Requirements:
- Flexibility and desire to serve others in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Experience working with immigrants, non-native English speakers a plus.
- State and federal clearances required prior to start date.
Interested applicants should apply through the Volunteer/Intern tab on ccpgh.org or contact Katya Slater, Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, directly at email@example.com.
General Information: Internship location depends on the program. Most internships are located near public transportation either in downtown Pittsburgh, or surrounding area.
Terms Offered: Fall, Spring and Summer
Number of Students per term: 4-5 students accepted at our downtown location each term. Alternative placements exist in the following counties: Washington, Greene, Butler and Lawrence.