"I have come to realize the hardship that the people we assist have experienced. I have learned the importance to have empathy and listen to them carefully. I have learned to look deeper at the economic difficulties and cultural barrier they are trying to overcome."
Cathoic Charities Diocese of Pittsburgh
212 Ninth Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Bonnie Rolison, Volunteer Coordinator
Areas of Interest: Counseling Psychology, Social Work and Non-Profit
Who we are:
Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh is the primary social service agency of the Diocese. Our mission is to serve with excellence, professionalism, integrity and compassion, the human needs of individuals and families, regardless of their religious affiliation, and to provide leadership in mobilizing the resources of parishes and the wider community in addressing these needs.
Catholic Charities' programs and services are available to those who live within the six counties of the Diocese—Allegheny, Beaver, Butler, Greene, Lawrence and Washington.
Students will gain valuable experience directly working with clients and addressing their needs to help them on the road to become self-sufficient. Department placement will be assigned depending on supervisor availability and student interest. Possible placements include Basic Needs Assistance, Refugee Services, Pregnancy and Parenting Support Services. Supervision will be provided by Director of individual departments. Internships will aim to provide students with exposure working in a human services field and to the overall operation of a non-profit as well as development of counseling and case management skills.
Opportunities are also available in marketing and development departments if the student is interested in administration experience at a non-profit.
Duties of Intern:
- Program Internships: Students will assist Case Workers with their case load and understand the basics of Case Management. These internships have direct contact with clients and require sensitivity toward all in need of our services.
- Administration Internships: Students will gain hands on experience in either Development or Marketing departments helping with fundraising efforts, grant writing, or public relations.
Additional Site Requirements:
- E-mail contact person letter of interest and resume (stating you are a Psychology major at the University of Pittsburgh interested in an internship)
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
- Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
- Act 73 Clearance: FBI Background Clearance
Internship location depends on the program. Most internships are located near public transportation either in downtown Pittsburgh, or surrounding area.
spring, summer and fall
Number of Students per term:
Program Related Internships:
- Team Hope:
- Refugee Services: 2
- Basic Needs: 2
- Roselia Center: 2
- Marketing: 1
- Development: 1