"I believe that I contribute to this placement by being present in group therapy where I am able to converse with the teens, learn their stories and concerns, as well as learn more about CBT, DBT, and problem-solving techniques the site advocates for. By learning more about the aspects of this site, I can extend information about this and other local sites to those that could benefit from their help. "
Franklin Building, Door 1
1011 Bingham St.
Pittsburgh PA 15203
Areas of Interest:
Clinical and/or Counseling Psychology; Social Work; Cognitive Behavioral Therapy; Dialectical Behavior Therapy; Individual, Group, and Family therapy; Diagnostic Assessment.
Who we are:
An acute/intensive care facility for adolescents age 12-18, with the goal of providing crisis intervention, while stabilizing mood symptoms, and providing patients with the skills to reintegrate into home and school.
Gain exposure to career opportunities and education in the field of mental health care. The Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic Acute Adolescent Partial and Intensive outpatient program treats adolescents & their families utilizing a collaborative, client-centered approach through group and individual therapy, family therapy, medication management, and academic skills development. Our treatment team includes psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, developmental specialists, and mental health therapists. Our population includes, but is not limited to; adolescents with a diagnosis of Major Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Psychosis, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Duties of Intern:
Students will participate in a wide range of duties that all center on direct, face-to-face contact with patients. Placement opportunities include the following:
- Observe and assist in group therapy with adolescents, which includes; Cognitive Behavioral, Problem Solving and Dialectical Behavior therapy groups.
- Assist developmental specialist during the classroom time for adolescents who are in the day/partial program.
- Observe diagnostic intake assessments.
- Observe family therapy sessions with staff social workers.
- Attend treatment team and staff meetings to learn about case management and coordination of care.
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
Act 73 Clearance: FBI Background Clearance
- Student in good academic standing at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Interested students must submit a letter of interest, and resume via email to the contact person listed above. In your letter, please state why you are interested in this internship opportunity, and that you are a psychology major referred by the PSY advising office.
- The completion of an abnormal psychology course prior to internship is highly recommended but not mandatory.
We are located on the South Side of Pittsburgh, along bus routes. We are located in the Franklin Building, which is directly across the street from the Holiday Inn Express on 10th St., and next to the 10th Street Bridge.
- Our Partial (Day) program runs from 8:30 am-2:30 pm Monday-Friday.
- Our Intensive Outpatient (after-school) Program runs from 3:00-6:30 pm; Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
Number of Students: