Honors and Awards
- Recipient of the Minority Achievers Award, TALK Magazine, Pittsburgh, PA, October 19, 2012.
- Recipient of the Community Leadership Award presented at the Urban League of Pittsburghs Ronald H. Brown Leadership and Awards Gala, Pittsburgh, PA, December 2, 2011.
- Recipient of an award from the faculty and staff of Grand Valley State University during the Race in America: Restructuring Inequality Conference, June 4, 2010.
- Invited by the Israel Studies Institute for an academic visit to Tel Aviv & Jerusalem, Israel, June, 2009.
- Selected by the New Pittsburgh Courier, 50 Men of Excellence, 2009.
- Recipient of the YWCA Racial Justice Award in Education, November 30, 2007, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Recipient of the 2007 Chancellors Affirmative Action Award, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
Research Interest Summary
Interracial dynamics; youth; african american families; academic achievement
Scott, L.D., Jr., Davis, L.E. (2006) Young, black, and male in foster care: Relationship of social contextual experiences to factors relevant to mental health service delivery, Journal of Adolescence, 29(5), 721-736.
Williams, J.H. Davis, L.E. Johnson, S. Williams, T. Saunders, J. & Nebbit, V. (2007) Substance Use and Academic Performance Among African American High School Students, Social Work Research, 31(3), 151-161.
Davis, L.E. and Bangs, R. (2007) The Center on Race and Social Problems at the University of Pittsburgh, Journal on Research on Social Work Practice, 17,(5), 632-634.
Vaughn, M.G., Wallace, J.M.,Davis, L.E., Fernandes, G. & Howard, M.O. (2007) Variations in mental health problems, substance use, and delinquency among African American and Caucasian juvenile offenders: implications for reentry services. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 10, 10:1-20.
Mizrahi, T. and Davis, L.E., Editors-in-Chief (2008) Encyclopedia of Social Work, 20th Edition, NASW Press/Oxford University Press.
Davis, L.E., Wallace, J. and Shanks, T. (2008) Overview on African Americans, Encyclopedia of Social Work, 20th Edition, NASW Press/Oxford University Press, p. 65-75.
Vaughn, M. G., Wallace, J., Davis, L. E., Fernandes, G., & Howard, M. O., (2008) Variations in mental health problems, substance use and delinquency between African-American and White juvenile offenders: Implications for reentry services. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 52(3), 311-329.
Davis, L.E. Prologue: Race and Social Problems (2009), l (1), 1-2.
Eack, S. M., Bahorik, A. L., Newhill, C. E., Neighbors, H. W., & Davis, L. E. (2012) Interviewer-perceived honesty mediates racial disparities in the diagnosis of schizophrenia, Psychiatric Services, 63 (9) 875-880.