Allegheny Commons Park
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Ted Bartlett, Philanthropy Manager, email@example.com
Areas of Interest: Philanthropy, Event Coordination, Public Relations, Marketing and business related psychology, organizational psychology.
Who we are:
The National Aviary is America’s only independent indoor nonprofit zoo dedicated exclusively to birds. Located in Allegheny Commons Park on Pittsburgh’s historic North Side, the National Aviary’s diverse collection comprises more than 500 birds representing more than 150 species from around the world, many of them threatened or endangered in the wild.
The National Aviary’s large walk-through exhibits create an experience unlike any other – an intimate, up-close interaction between visitors and free-flying birds, including opportunities to hand-feed and meet many species rarely found in zoos anywhere else in the world.
As an environmental organization composed of educators, conservationists and researchers, the National Aviary’s goals are many. The Aviary aims to provide outstanding education programming for varied audiences; present the highest quality family recreational experience that a zoological institution can offer; save endangered species by preserving natural habitats; continue endangered bird breeding programs and conduct meaningful avian research; engender a sincere appreciation of nature and a respect for natural law; and instill a conservation ethic that teaches our immense responsibility as stewards of the planet.
This internship is geared toward students studying nonprofits, fundraising, or event planning. The Philanthropy intern will assist the National Aviary’s Philanthropy Department with individual and corporate giving, fundraising events, foundations, donor database, and some marketing/communications.
Duties of Intern:
- Assist Philanthropy staff with donor communication, including writing letters and proposals
- Manage projects related to our premier events, including Night in the Tropics and Wings & Wildlife Art Show
- Perform research of potential donors and sponsors as needed
- Enter information into spreadsheets
- Reach out to potential donors and sponsors to discuss opportunities
- Develop fundraising strategies with the assistance of the Philanthropy team
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
- Past or current involvement in any of the following areas: development, membership, special events, marketing
- Experience with writing for social media is a plus
- No housing provided
- This position offers flexible start and end dates, but requires a commitment of at least one semester or three months.
- Located on Pittsburgh’s North Side
- This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
- If applicant meets their school standards, we will work with them to get credit.
Terms Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Number of Students: ~2