Allegheny Commons Park
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Kassia Janesch, email@example.com
Areas of Interest: Marketing, Communications, Business, English, Public Relations, Consumer Neuroscience, Marketing and Business Psychology, Cultural Anthropology, Decision Sciences
Who we are:
The National Aviary is America’s only independent indoor nonprofit zoo dedicated exclusively to birds. Located in Allegheny Commons Park on Pittsburgh’s historic North Side, the National Aviary’s diverse collection comprises more than 500 birds representing more than 150 species from around the world, many of them threatened or endangered in the wild.
The National Aviary’s large walk-through exhibits create an experience unlike any other – an intimate, up-close interaction between visitors and free-flying birds, including opportunities to hand-feed and meet many species rarely found in zoos anywhere else in the world.
As an environmental organization composed of educators, conservationists and researchers, the National Aviary’s goals are many. The Aviary aims to provide outstanding education programming for varied audiences; present the highest quality family recreational experience that a zoological institution can offer; save endangered species by preserving natural habitats; continue endangered bird breeding programs and conduct meaningful avian research; engender a sincere appreciation of nature and a respect for natural law; and instill a conservation ethic that teaches our immense responsibility as stewards of the planet.
This internship is geared towards students interested in a career in non-profit or cultural attraction marketing and communications. In addition to other marketing tasks, this intern will assist the National Aviary’s Marketing Department with conducting research regarding an exciting new project.
Duties of Intern:
Conduct archival research needed for a new marketing project, which will be completed from start to finish during the course of the internship.
Assist with the planning and execution of marketing events, especially event publicity and promotions.
Assist with marketing tactics related to publicity, advertising and promotions including copywriting, proofreading, organization and documentation of marketing materials, and special event support.
Other Duties as assigned.
- Ability to complete research and synthesize findings into marketable materials
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to take initiative
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, quickly and in compliance with fast-paced deadlines
- Ability to multi-task
- Interest in any of the following areas: marketing, communications, event planning, research, customer/guest services
- Be able to work a flexible schedule and attend events outside of normal work week
- Graphic design skills a plus
- This is a unique internship opportunity to see a project through from start to finish (valuable for resume building and attractive to future employers).
- Located on Pittsburgh’s North Side
- This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
- If applicant meets their school standards, we will work with them to get credit.
Terms Offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Number of Students: 1